Ruby is a flexible and intuitive object-oriented programming language. From modest beginnings in Japan where it rapidly gained a loyal following, the popularity of Ruby has now spread throughout the programming world.
This surge in popularity can, in no small part, be attributed to the introduction and wide adoption of the Ruby on Rails framework. It is difficult, however, to get the most out of Ruby on Rails without first learning something about programming in Ruby, and this is where Ruby Essentials comes in.
Ruby Essentials provides a concise and easy to follow guide to learning Ruby. Everything from installing Ruby and the basics of the language through to topics such as arrays, file handling and object-oriented programming are covered, all combined with easy to understand code examples which serve to bridge the gap between theory and practice.
Ruby Essentials is designed to be of equal use both to those experienced in other programming languages and to novices who have chosen Ruby as their "first programming language".
Purchase includes eBook in both PDF and ePub formats.
Product DetailsPage Count: 115
Page Size: 8.50 x 11.00
Format: PDF and ePub
- What is Ruby?
- Getting and Installing Ruby
- Simple Ruby Examples
- Commenting Ruby Code
- Understanding Ruby Variables
- Ruby Variable Scope
- Ruby Number Classes and Conversions
- Ruby Methods
- Ruby Ranges
- Understanding Ruby Arrays
- Advanced Ruby Arrays
- Ruby Operators
- Ruby Operator Precedence
- Ruby Math Functions and Methods
- Understanding Ruby Logical Operators
- Ruby Object Oriented Programming
- Ruby Flow Control
- The Ruby case Statement
- Ruby While and Until Loops
- Looping with for and the Ruby Looping Methods
- Ruby Strings - Creation and Basics
- Ruby String Concatenation and Comparison
- Ruby String Replacement, Substitution and Insertion
- Ruby String Conversions
- Ruby Directory Handling
- Working with Files in Ruby
- Working with Dates and Times in Ruby